Thursday, March 8, 2012

Landmark Town


Well, three out of four graduate schools have turned me down, and not that I blame them, really I don't.  I'm kind of hard to like...  I already bought a good professor blazer though.  I guess I could start wearing it to the bar.  I've noticed you get looks if you show up to a bar in  a blazer.
  
Here is a drawing of a lizard in a spray bottle:
I don't know what the idea was behind these drawings, they're old.  I know they weren't meant to be preachy or anything.

Here is a segment from a story called "Landmark Town" that I did not submit to any graduate school because I thought it was too goofy.  The story is just this guy describing the town he is from and all the landmarks that make it so great, and the landmarks just keep getting weirder and more violent.  I did submit as my writing samples more serious minded literature that really drilled into the idea that life and all our pursuits are meaningless (which I find to be funny, not depressing).  No wonder they loved me so much.  Maybe I dodged a bullet, not having to be trapped in a classroom with a bunch of hopeful people.  How do you write something optimistic without sounding like you're running for president?  Boy, things sure could be great if we lived like this!

Anyway, here are some words from "Landmark Town":

Up further where Broadway meets Main Street you can see our famous revolving restaurant, Chino’s Italiano.  Yep, it is the only street level revolving restaurant in the U.S.A.  Well, it doesn’t revolve currently due to the accidents.  The gears underneath posed a kind of hazard for children and small pets.  One lady lost her dog.  Look at your face!  You think I’m kidding?  Just snatched hold the leash, the ways those things will, pulled it right out of her hand and grinded him up like that.  Gruesome.  Could have been avoided, I think, with a little common sense,  but you know the city council got all up in arms and now the revolving restaurant is a more traditional immobile restaurant.   The gears are still there behind some chain link fencing.  You can see them from the sidewalk.  I bet they still work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment